Monday, August 20, 2007

Faith Without a Backup Plan

I've been reading Hebrews in my quiet times and it is permeated with faith. Hebrews is like a spiritual steroid. If you need a quick energy faith drink, then read Hebrews. Anyway, the theme of Hebrews is "It is impossible to please God without faith". What is faith and how do you get it. Faith is believing in what is unseen and it comes from reading God's Word. The more we hear, read, and memorize God's word, the more faith we acquire. You can't please God without it because you don't know how to please God unless you read his Words and get to know him. Just like I can't please my wife unless I know what she likes and listens to what she says. It's a very simple concept; you can't please God unless you know him. Faith is an action word. Faith is not faith unless it is acted on. For example, last week before youth service I was in prayer and about an hour in, I heard these statements. Tonight, people are going to be at youth service that have not been there in months and miracles are going to happen. My first reaction was, that was my flesh or just a passing thought. The more I prayed, the more I felt these two statements. God was asking me to tell my leadership team those two statements before service. I battled with this for another half hour. Why was this hard; because if I made these two statements to my leaders and it didn't happen, I would be made out a fool. The end result was; I did tell my leaders and people showed up that have not been there in months and miracles did happen that night. In hindsight, I wish I would have responded in faith quicker when God dropped those words into my spirit. That was faith, I didn't have a backup plan if God didn't come through. I didn't re-word those statements so that the likeliness of them happening was greater. Faith is just that, acting upon a promise of God or a revelation of His Spirit knowing that if God doesn't show up or come through, you could be made out a fool. So when you are reading a promise of God or hear him talking to you, stand on it, believe it, and act on it. This is the true essence of Faith.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very true babe! The amazing thing is that we don't have to worry about God embarrassing us when we obey Him.
Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore, I have set my face life a flint, and I know I will not be put to shame. (Isaiah 50:7) This is so freeing!