Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Hero

In today's culture, we throw around the word hero so loosely. We attach it to sports figures, singers, or hollywood. More times than not, those personalities let us down and don't ever fulfill the true definition of "hero". Hero means courage under fire, self-sacrifice, forsaking all the world's success to achieve the goal our God has laid before us. Some biblical characters: Stephen, the first martyr, David who stood up to the giant, Abraham who stood on his faith, Rahab, who put her life in jeopardy to protect God's people, John the Baptist gave up comfort to preach in the desert. Modern day heroes are Jim Elliot who was martyred for preaching the Gospel in Ecuador, Chareles Wesley who led a grace rebellion in the late 1700s, William Seymore, who birthed the AG by seeking God 24/7. Heroes are also Dads who are spiritual leaders of their homes, love their kids and their wife, Moms who support their husbands and take care of the home, students who sacrifice popularity, acceptance, and fame because they are more concerned with what Jesus thinks. I will know I fit the term "hero" when I stand before Jesus and He says, "well done my good and faithful servant". When I hear those words every thing I am in a person, father, husband, son, employee, leader, and friend will be labeled successful. That is the hero I want to be and that is what I want to emulate in those I look up to on this earth. Make me more like my ultimate hero, Jesus Christ.

No comments: