Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Counterfeit

2 Timothy 3:5.........."having a form of Godliness, but denying the power of it in my life

There have been times in my life where I have gone through the motions of Christianity; sadly enough even times where I have preached the word not from the power of the spirit within but from the human wisdom found in the intellect of my mind. Paul reminds me that his life is not governed by persuasive, smooth words but by the power of the Holy Spirit. How many times have our lives or our churches just had forms of godliness but lacked the power of the Holy Spirit that comes from really engaging in God. The reason why our lives are not overwhelmed with the presence of God or our churches filled to overflowing is because we are practice a counterfeit presence of God. We try to conjur him up in our services, bribe him into our lives, or start programs to achieve temporary success. I am convinced that if I want to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit, I must daily make sure that I am not faking God in my life. I never want to be in a place in my life where I fake God's power or his presence. Also, I never want to be part of a body of believers (church) that fakes God's power or counterfeits his presence. The only way to truly see the power of God evident and alive in our lives and churches is to get back to holy-living and gut-wrenching, tear drenched prayer. Our churches are limping and on life-support because the church is made up of people and we are limping and on life-support. We think we are fulfilling our Christian duty by having 15 minute devotion and prayer times and showing up to church for an hour a week. That kind of lifestyle will never help you to live empowered, spirit led lives. We must engage our lives to make every part of our life bathed in the presence of God. My prayer: God, let the stench of the world on me be gone and bathe my days and nights with your presence and power. Everything I own, that I hold so close; it is rubbish, junk, nothing compared to knowing you and being found in you. I don't want to live one day without the leading of your Holy Spirit. I don't want to fake you or try to replace you with a counterfeit. It must be You!!! God if the woman with the issue of blood felt your power by just touching one hem of your garment, how much more is for me if I grab ahold of ALL you are.

No comments: